Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bakawali


Bakawali: ( Epiphyllum Oxypetalum)
More picture below

As I know, his plant also being called as Night Blooming Cereus, Dutchman’s pipe and Queen of the Night. According to a source of information this plant can be found in Mexico, Venezuala, Brazil and South East Asia. If I'm not wrong it belongs to cactus family cos the flower is like dragon fruit flower. My cousin who once was an NST photographer gave it to us when we attended the wedding of his two sons a few years ago. He had given me some sharp and nice photos of this flower from his garden which he had captured with his SLR camera. Anyway I lost the photos when my computer was attacked by virus.
First we grow it under the shady area but it did not grow very well. After we exposed it to the sunlight....thanks God! it grows rapidly with long leaves. This flower blossoms at night. It shows the sign to blossom at 10 p.m and around 11 p.m it already shows all the white petals. At 12 pm it blossoms completely. That's why some people do call it Queen of the Night. Sometimes one leaf can bear more than five flowers at once! Beautiful flower that resemble 'teratai'



.

1 comment: